Saturday, July 27, 2013

Using a Chevy Camaro as a Dolly

When I was 17 years old, I couldn't afford a doorway dolly or any other dollies for that matter. The poor man's tracking system generally consists of placing the camera on an office chair and pushing it on a smooth surface. I did things differently.

I asked my friend Marcel to drive my 1988 Chevy Camaro, while I laid down on the hood
to get a smooth tracking shot of poles in the parking lot. After filming for 10 minutes,
Marcel stopped the car.

Without breaking focus or lifting my eye from the viewfinder, I made quick circles with my
index for him to resume.

"Come on, let's move!"

I felt the transmission change gears to PARK.

Finally, I raised my head to see what was wrong when I realized there was a tall police officer
standing next to the car and staring me down with a very serious look.



"Hello Officer."

"Do you know why I stopped you?" He asked.

"Hmm... I'm... not sure." I said trying to gather my thoughts. I could have thought of a lot of reasons. Trespassing. Filming without permit...

"You're not wearing your seat-belt," he said.

A cop with a sense of humor!

I let out a relieved chuckle but I knew I was still not out of the wood. I explained to him with quite a lot of enthusiasm what an incredible shot I had in mind.

"Officer! Imagine this... the camera past past the parking meters in the deserted lot.
That would be so amazing and visually... so... POETIC! Don't you think?"

Gulp*

He looked at me with his lips forming a subtle smile. My passionate plea must have worked
because he let us off the hook without a ticket.

"I don't want you to do this again. Next time, I'm giving you and your driver a ticket."

"Yes Officer. Thank you. Thank you very much."

Before leaving, he even suggested some very creative ways to build a wooden shelf on the passenger side window to elevate the camera and keep it steady and create a great dolly shot.

Whether he was a cinephile or a weekend filmmaker, I'll never know. But one thing's for sure,
he was a good guy with a good sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment